Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
Free Consultation - Se Habla ESPAÑOL
Menu Contact

Child Citizenship Archives

What is Hague adoption?

When a family wishes to adopt internationally, they must generally work through the Hague adoption process. Until relatively recently, families could adopt either through Hague adoption or the orphan adoption process. However, most orphan adoption required filing the appropriate forms to adopt before April 1, 2008. Hague adoption is a uniform adoption process that aims to ensure that the best interests of parents and children remain protected during the complex journey of international adoption. While not all countries participate in Hague adoption, most countries do.

Does your child have dual citizenship?

Though we generally think of citizenship as something that is exclusive to one country, it is possible for people to have dual citizenship. Another name for this, in some cases, is dual nationality. As the name implies, it simply means that the person can claim citizenship in two separate countries at the same time.

Here's what to know about a Hague adoption

If you're interested in adopting from another country, one thing you may wish to do is to adopt from a Hague country. The Hague Convention is a treaty that helps provide protection to birth parents, children and adoptive parents who are going through intercountry adoptions and other situations related to custody and parental rights.

The path to U.S. citizenship for your adopted child is clear

Children born and adopted abroad often qualify for United States citizenship as soon as they enter the country. In most cases, there's no need for the child's parents to file an application for their adopted child to qualify for citizenship. The signing of the Child Citizenship Act (CCA) of 2000 made it possible for children adopted abroad to automatically be granted citizenship.

Citizenship and your adopted child: The Child Citizenship Act

As a person looking to adopt, something extremely important to you is obtaining citizenship for your children. You will want to make sure your child becomes a citizen in as quick a manner as possible, helping him or her stay in the country permanently.

International adoption using IR-4 and IH-4 visas

For many parents, adopting internationally is key to growing their family. However, it does not take long to understand that this process is often lengthy and complicated, especially when it comes to actually bringing a child into the United States from another country. The U.S. government issues several different kinds of visas to children entering the country on an adoption basis, and the privileges and status of the child may vary significantly depending on the type of visa issued.

Email Us For A Response

Client Reviews

“Incredibly good at informing with the correct information. They always have one or two planes if one don't work out ! Exactly what I like and looking for !!! Great service” - Vanna Vanna Alvarez

Contact Us

Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
6855 Jimmy Carter Boulevard
Suite 2150
Norcross, GA 30071

Toll Free: 800-440-7601
Phone: 770-441-4807
Norcross Law Office Map

Hours | Mon - Fri: 9am - 6:30pm
Hours | Sat: 10am - 2pm

View Our Recent Results
Google Map