Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
Free Consultation - Se Habla ESPAÑOL
Menu Contact

How to renew a United States work visa

It is required by law for all employers to check if their employees or potential employees are allowed to work in the United States. It doesn't matter what your nationality or citizenship status is, you must be able to prove to an employer that you are legally permitted to work in the country. One such way is by obtaining the Employment Authorization Document, also known as the EAD. If this document is about to expire, you need to know how to renew it, so you don't lose your job.

In order to obtain an EAD, you must first file Form I-765, the Application for Employment Authorization. You will be required to file for an EAD for any of the following circumstances:

  • You are already authorized to work in the United States but need to show proof of such authorization
  • You are required to apply for permission to work in the United States (pending I-485 form, pending I-589 application or F-1 or M-1 student)

Are you a lawful permanent resident? If so, you will not need to apply for an EAD. If you have an EAD and then become a lawful permanent resident, you will not need to reapply for your EAD when it expires.

If your EAD has expired or is about to expire, you need to file a new Form I-765 and pay the required fee. It is recommended that you do not file for a new EAD more than 180 days prior to the current one expiring.

Renewing your EAD is an important step in keeping your right to work in the United States. Make sure you have all of your ducks in a row, have spoken to an experienced employment immigration attorney and complete the required forms correctly.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Client Reviews

“Incredibly good at informing with the correct information. They always have one or two planes if one don't work out ! Exactly what I like and looking for !!! Great service” - Vanna Vanna Alvarez

Contact Us

Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
6855 Jimmy Carter Boulevard
Suite 2150
Norcross, GA 30071

Toll Free: 800-440-7601
Phone: 770-441-4807
Norcross Law Office Map

Hours | Mon - Fri: 9am - 6:30pm
Hours | Sat: 10am - 2pm

View Our Recent Results
Google Map