Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
Free Consultation - Se Habla ESPAÑOL
Menu Contact

U visa may help crime victims seek asylum

You may have come to the United States in hopes of starting a new life and achieving your dreams. Somewhere along the way, however, you may have found yourself in a difficult situation that resulted in you suffering harm. Because you are an undocumented immigrant, you may have felt that you had no options for seeking help.

It may interest you to know that you do have options for seeking asylum if you have suffered mental or physical abuse as the result of a qualifying crime. Certain visas may allow you to remain in the country and obtain help if you meet the eligibility requirements.

U nonimmigrant visa

A U nonimmigrant visa — also known as a U visa — is a type of visa meant specifically for victims of particular crimes. Some of the qualifying crimes include:

  • Abduction
  • Domestic violence
  • Extortion
  • Torture
  • Stalking
  • Blackmail
  • Felonious assault

This list provides only a few examples of criminal activity that could potentially result in you suffering harm that the U visa covers. If you have been victimized in some other way, you may wish to speak with knowledgeable professionals about your particular situation to determine whether the crime against you may meet U visa standards.

Eligibility requirements

Though you may have been the victim of a qualifying crime, this factor does not automatically make you eligible for a U visa. You must meet several stipulations, including:

  • Suffering substantial physical or mental harm as a victim of the crime
  • Having information about the crime
  • Providing help to law enforcement as they investigate or prosecute the crime
  • Being the victim of a crime that occurred in the United States or that violated United States laws
  • Meeting the qualifications to be admissible to the United States

Again, if you feel uncertain as to whether you meet these requirements, you may wish to gain assistance.

Applying for a U visa

The applications process for a U visa may seem complicated and extensive. As a result, you may worry that you could incorrectly complete a form or not fully understand what you need to do in order to complete your application. Luckily, you could gain assistance from a Georgia immigration attorney who could help you throughout the application process. This advocate may help you feel more at ease and confident as you work to obtain this form of asylum.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Client Reviews

“Incredibly good at informing with the correct information. They always have one or two planes if one don't work out ! Exactly what I like and looking for !!! Great service” - Vanna Vanna Alvarez

Contact Us

Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
6855 Jimmy Carter Boulevard
Suite 2150
Norcross, GA 30071

Toll Free: 800-440-7601
Phone: 770-441-4807
Norcross Law Office Map

Hours | Mon - Fri: 9am - 6:30pm
Hours | Sat: 10am - 2pm

View Our Recent Results
Google Map