Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
Free Consultation - Se Habla ESPAÑOL
Menu Contact

How do kids obtain citizenship if they're not born in America?

If your child is born when you're not in the United States, you may think that he or she is automatically a citizen. In some ways, that's true. In others, it isn't. While your child may socially be recognized as an American, there are steps you actually have to take to get your child's citizenship recognized.

The Child Citizen Act of 2000 helps children who are born to foreign individuals obtain citizenship within the United States in certain circumstances. Sections 320 and 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act allow foreign-born children who didn't receive citizenship at birth to obtain citizenship afterward as long as they are under the age of 18. The process is expedited for these children.

Children born outside the United States are automatically citizens of the U.S. when born to at least one American parent, are under the age of 18, and reside in the United States with the U.S. citizen parent while working to obtain permanent residency. Children adopted to U.S. parents may obtain citizenship if they live with their American parents for at least two years while under the age of 16 in most cases.

It can be a complicated process to obtain your child's citizenship documents, and it may take some time. It's important to be sure to keep up with the requests made by the government for more information if necessary. Your attorney can help you navigate the process to be sure your child receives his or her citizenship documents as soon as possible, so you can be comfortable having your child in or out of the country.

Source: U.S. Department of State, "Child Citizenship Act of 2000 – Sections 320 and 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act," accessed Aug. 23, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Client Reviews

“Incredibly good at informing with the correct information. They always have one or two planes if one don't work out ! Exactly what I like and looking for !!! Great service” - Vanna Vanna Alvarez

Contact Us

Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
6855 Jimmy Carter Boulevard
Suite 2150
Norcross, GA 30071

Toll Free: 800-440-7601
Phone: 770-441-4807
Norcross Law Office Map

Hours | Mon - Fri: 9am - 6:30pm
Hours | Sat: 10am - 2pm

View Our Recent Results
Google Map