Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
Free Consultation - Se Habla ESPAÑOL
Menu Contact

Different types of United States work visas you may qualify for

Foreign nationals wishing to work in the United States are required to procure a work visa to do so. There are a number of different types of work permits you can apply for depending on the field you qualify to work in, how long you wish to be eligible to work in the county, whether you already have procured a job with a United States employer or not and even depending on what country you're from.

A green card is a type of permanent residency. This type of legal residency permit also allows its recipients to lawfully work in the country. It's commonly awarded via a lottery process. Each year, the U.S. awards 50,000 new green cards to citizens from select countries. Provided that you hail from one of the countries on that year's list, you can be placed on the lottery list free of charge.

As an alternative to the green card process, there's also a US Exchange Visitor program. Participants in this J-1 program are required to demonstrate an interest in learning more about the United States, including its lifestyle and culture. There are certain work-study programs that specifically qualify an applicant for this type of visa.

For those interested in working temporarily in the U.S., they may be eligible for a H-2B, also known as the U.S. Temporary Non-Agricultural Visa. Applicants for this visa are required to demonstrate a certain aptitude to take on certain jobs that there are too few domestic workers to fill. Of the 66,000 workers that enter the U.S. on this type visa annually, most work in hotels, at beach and ski resorts or amusement parks.

For those who possess certain knowledge in high demand areas, they may qualify for H1-B Temporary Skilled Worker Visas. Applicants for this type of visa must already have an established relationship with an employer and specialized knowledge in a particular area of inquiry. Employers must be also willing to pay above-average wages to the 65,000 applicants who are approved for this type visa each year.

Another common type of worker visa is the H2-A one. Foreigners that hold this U.S. Seasonal Agricultural Worker Visa are allowed to do so for an entire harvest.

If you're considering relocating to the United States and are looking to have a work visa in hand so that you can support yourself when you do, then an Atlanta immigration attorney can help.

Source: The Balance, "US work visas and eligibility requirements," Alison Doyle, accessed Aug. 04, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Client Reviews

“Incredibly good at informing with the correct information. They always have one or two planes if one don't work out ! Exactly what I like and looking for !!! Great service” - Vanna Vanna Alvarez

Contact Us

Taylor Lee & Associates LLC
6855 Jimmy Carter Boulevard
Suite 2150
Norcross, GA 30071

Toll Free: 800-440-7601
Phone: 770-441-4807
Norcross Law Office Map

Hours | Mon - Fri: 9am - 6:30pm
Hours | Sat: 10am - 2pm

View Our Recent Results
Google Map