When Can I Apply For Papers For My Parent?

Related Topics

Any child born in the United States is automatically an American citizen, even if neither parent is a citizen. In many cases, the parents are not eligible for citizenship or even a green card because they entered the country illegally or were not admissible for other reasons.

At Taylor Lee & Associates LLC, we are commonly approached by young adults wanting to obtain "papers" for their foreign-born parents. This may stem from an immigration crisis, such as a parent's arrest for a deportable crime, or from a proactive desire to prevent such problems. We have helped many adult children sponsor their parents in adjusting to lawful status. Our immigration law practice serves the Metro Atlanta area and northern Georgia.

Sponsoring A Non-Citizen Parent

At age 21, an "anchor baby" who was born in the U.S. to non-citizen parents can apply to adjust the immigration status of his or her parents. This is not an automatic process, but considered by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on a case-by-case basis. If approved, sponsorship by an adult child is almost as fast as sponsorship of a spouse, without the requirement of the parent(s) returning to the country of origin.

A common scenario is parents who enter the U.S. without authorization and gain employment in seasonal work or factory work where documentation is not required. They avoid contact with police or immigration officials for many years until a traffic stop, a workplace inspection or other event triggers detection and leads to removal proceedings.

The attorneys of Taylor Lee & Associates will explore all avenues to adjust your parent(s) to lawful status; to stop deportation; or simply to provide the security, opportunities and benefits of becoming a permanent resident.

Straight Answers To Your Immigration Questions

"When can I apply for papers for my parents?" We get this question often, but every case is different. Our lawyers will sit down with you to discuss the specific facts of your case regarding adjustment of status for parents. Please call our Atlanta office at 770-441-4807 or 800-440-7601 or contact us by email. Hablamos español.