Does Same-Sex Marriage Affect Immigration?

Same-sex marriage and immigration reform: These have recently been two of the most talked-about subjects in the country. In addition to having individual consequences, they also affect each other in certain ways.

At the Atlanta law firm of Taylor Lee & Associates LLC, we stay up to date on the constantly changing immigration laws. We also have experience in family law matters affecting same-sex couples. Let our team of attorneys answer your questions and guide you through your concerns in either area of law.

If you are wondering whether your same-sex marriage will affect your immigration petition, here are the basic facts you need to know:

  • You don't have to leave Georgia for your wedding ceremony. In the past, same-sex couples had to get married in a U.S. state that allowed such marriages if they wanted to be considered official "spouses" for immigration purposes. Georgia was not one of those states. Today, same-sex marriage has been federally recognized, which means that it is legal in all 50 states, including Georgia.
  • Once you're married, you can file an I-130 petition. Since your spouse will now be legally recognized as such by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you can petition for an immigrant visa on his or her behalf.
  • You still have to meet all the other requirements for a family-based visa. Having a legally recognized marriage is only one of many requirements for obtaining a spousal visa or green card. We encourage you to talk with one of our lawyers to get more details.

Come To Our Office Or Call Us Today

We welcome walk-ins at our Norcross office. No appointment is needed. You can also call us at 770-441-4807 or 800-440-7601, or contact us online. We are here to help. Hablamos español.